Sunday, August 31, 2008

You're Moving Where?!

Because so many have asked and commented about the Anderson family, I feel like this is a good place to share about their family, especially since they have had such a big impact on Be the Change. On August 6th, I received an e-mail from Denise telling me that Makenzie would not be returning to school in the fall, that her family was going through a major life change, and she asked that I call her. I sent a panicked e-mail back to her, thinking something was terribly wrong and told her I had to leave for an appointment but would call her from the car in a few minutes. I thought something was very wrong and was beginning to wonder how I could get back down there, not because that was a logical solution, but because that is just always my answer: get on a plane and go.

Here is how my conversation with Denise went. Oh, and for future reference, it's not good to be sipping on a drink when having a conversation with her:

Denise: Hola (like in this cheery tone as if nothing major is happening and I am just calling to say "Hi.")
Me: Hi, what is going on? What is wrong with Makenz that she isn't going back to school.
Denise: This is top secret.
Me: You're scaring me, should I be buying a plane ticket.
Denise:Yes, but not to the Dominican Republic.
Me:What?
Denise:We're moving.
Me: You're what?! (and here is where the sipping on a drink doesn't work out because you nearly spit it out all over the car)
Denise: Moving.
Me:Where?
Denise:South Africa.
Me:Seriously?! When can you have visitors?!
Denise:We're thinking we'll be there in January, you can fly from JFK to Johannesburg for about $1,000.
Me: Great, how is next summer for you?!

I talked to Carlos de Mayo, we just have to figure out how to say Charles May in whatever African language they will be speaking soon. Carlos said he is ready to get an African head dress. Makenzie and Morgyn will now be adding one more language to the list of those they can ask "Where is the bathroom" in.

The same day I spoke with Denise, I had a conversation with my mother, that went like this....
Mom: How was your day? Anything new?
Me: Not with me, but guess what!
Mom: What?
Me:The Anderson's are moving.
Mom:Really? Where to?
Me:South Africa.
Mom:Really?
Me:Yep!
Mom:Oh no, when are you leaving?

It's a relief to me that she is finally accepting this living overseas thing :)

So, it turns out that I will get to see Phil,Denise and girls a lot sooner than I thought when I told them goodbye at the zoo back in July. They will arrive at the Newark International Airport on October 1st. The are moving to South Africa, outside of Johannesburg, at the very beginning of 2009.

My next stop...www.travelocity.com...I think the sound of "Africa in 2009" has a nice ring to it :)

No comments: