Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Christmas Kindness

Each year we are all completely humbled by the response to the Christmas collection for the children at the Maetang Tribal Children's Home in Thailand. This is the third year we have done this collection. Two years ago Diane approached me and asked what I thought of sending Christmas presents to the children at Maetang (the same children who received the new bathrooms). I of course said I loved the idea (did you seriously think I'd turn down sending presents to children?!). We shopped and shopped and shopped at Target and had our carts more than overflowing. As we were shopping we talked about the fact that if we were going to start this the first year, we had to do it every year. We knew couldn't tell them one year that they mattered enough to receive presents and then not send them the next year. So, we decided two years ago that as long as there is a Be the Change Foundation, the children in Thailand will have to get presents. Shopping was so much fun, and we were so excited picking out little items that we knew would mean so much to them. There is something very humbling about shopping for children who you know will be thrilled with socks and toothbrushes. While shopping and packing all of these items was so much fun, we still had one more hurdle. Shipping. The first year it cost of $500 to ship everything to Thailand. When I approached the postal service last year about shipping, they informed me that the less expensive boat option we used the year before was no longer an option. Which meant the price would at least double. We began to explore some other shipping options. It was a huge benefit to us that I happen to babysit for two little girls who are the daughters of a Federal Express pilot. He travels to Asia and said he'd take the gifts himself (hey, thanks, can I go with you!). I made many phone calls and sent many e-mails to FedEx, and got a return call the week before the gifts needed to be sent in order to make in to Thailand in time for Christmas. I spoke with the woman who is in charge of their community relations. I told her about the children in Thailand, a little bit about Be the Change, and explained what human trafficking meant when she asked what that was. She told me she would call me back a few days later. She did, and told me that FedEx would be shipping to Thailand for us for free. All 11 boxes. They made the same generous donation this year to us, shipping over 200 pounds of gifts to Thailand for free.




Packing all the gifts to go to Thailand (Baby not included, she stays with me :) )


Compassion is most certainly poured on these children. There are complete strangers who contact us or send checks to help with this project. Many churches get involved by asking their members to contribute. There are students at universities who set up tables and collect gifts and money to send Christmas gifts to children who live on the other side of the world. It is so moving to watch so many come together and share the true meaning of Christmas with children on the other side of the world whom they have never met.

The experience of seeing the look on the face of the FedEx guy who processes the order is priceless.
"All of these?"

Yes, all of them

"They are all going to Thailand?"

Yes, they are all going to Thailand.

"Really?"

Am I not saying it right?

It gets better when he tells me I need to fill out a customs form and airway bill. "Oh, it's OK,” I said, “I have those completed already, we have the customs forms at my house."

Now he thinks I am crazy. Definitely. I wonder if the fact that we do actually have a stash of customs forms at our house, and the fact that I know what an airway bill is and how to fill it out correctly means I have done this way too many times?! I also wonder if it is a problem that I have the address of the FedEx location in Chiang Mai memorized :)

The children will be thrilled this Christmas. There were so many wonderful gifts included for the children: pens, pencils, beanie babies, pencil sharpeners, coloring books, Matchbox cars, hair clips and headbands, jewelry, soap and body wash, shoes, shampoo and conditioner, deodrant, tooth brushes, toothpaste, notebooks, clothing, and so much more. There were many, many bath towels and I had tears packing some of those into the boxes, thinking of the little girls and boys who finally have clean showers to use, and now have fresh clean towels to go along with their new bathrooms. And, of course, there were many boxes of crayons. Incase you're wondering, yes, Madison and I went through every box. Because, you know, you can't give broken crayons to kids.

May your holidays be filled with as much joy as you have given these children.





No comments: