Monday, February 9, 2009

Beyond Our Expectations

On January 31, 2009 about 20 people gathered at the Lutheran Church of the Resurrection in Yardley, PA. By the time the event was over, and all the blankets from just that day were counted we had nearly 45 hand-made blankets. That is 45 children in Haiti who will no longer have to sleep on the concrete or dirt.








But that's not all.

We don't yet know how many blankets will be made at a church in Virginia holding the same event.

We don't yet know how many blankets will be made at a church in New York holding the same event.

We're not sure how many blankets the daycare in Pennsylvania will collect.

That number doesn't count the blankets that were collected at an office in New Jersey.

It also doesn't count the one that was randomly dropped off at my house yesterday by one of my friends from highschool.

It also doesn't count the one I walked into at my office this morning.




It amazed all of us at Be the Change how the plight of these children seems to be contagious. Anyone who has heard about the child slaves in Haiti who are sleeping on the dirt and concrete has wanted to do something to help their situation. As I mentioned before, Haiti has been on my heart so much in the past few months. As I also said, if you've been within earshot of me over the past few months, I am SURE you have heard reference to the children in Haiti who are starving. In fact, on Friday evening, while babysitting I realized I may say this too often. As I went to thow away pizza crust one of the kids said to me "I can't believe you are throwing that away, there are starving children in Haiti." Thanks for the reminder, Madison.




It has brought tears to my eyes so many times looking at all the blankets sitting at my house waiting to be shipped. I keep thinking about the children who will be receiving them, and I keep thinking of the words that came from our contact at the Restavec Freedom Foundation...I have never seen a child in Haiti with a blanket.



Following our event, I e-mailed our contact to let her know how many blankets we had so far. Her response:
Oh my goodness!!! This is amazing how you were able to network. I feel so blessed and I know these children will begin to understand what love means and know a little about how it feels. We will take pictures of them being distributed. Please tell your group how much we appreciate them and their support and encouragement of our work.
With love and hearts full of thanks, Joan





Thank you to all who have helped to give a voice to these children in Haiti. If you still have a blanket, or you are still organizing a blanket event or collection, please contact us at info@bethechangefoundation if you need information on where to send your completed/collected blankets. Your kindness, compassion and generosity for the cause is inspiring. Thank you. Of course, once we have pictures we will share those.






Thank you.

No comments: